Subject: Re: Seeking enlightenment
To: Thayne Harbaugh <tharbaug%alta.us.oracle.com@us.oracle.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1997 09:23:25
> What are the evils of /etc/rc.d?

It's a SysVism.   SysV used to be the big evil we all railed against,
although at this point it has pretty much faded into irrelevancy for
many of us.   But many of us still shy away from anything SysVish.
Somebody else here may have some legitimate technical reason why
/etc/rc.d is a bad thing, but I have to admit that my reason for not
liking it is strictly aesthetic - it's SysVish, and it's a pain to
figure out if you don't know how it works.

> Why is Linux not a real OS?

It is a real OS.   It's just not the one that most of us on this
mailing list like to use.   The fact that it's very SysVish is
probably part of that.

			       _MelloN_