Subject: Re: When is the next release or snapshot due?
To: Sean Witham <Sean.Witham@asa.co.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1997 00:06:47
On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Sean Witham wrote:

> Would be nice if the local config were presented to the administrator
> to the configurator with an option to replace them with anything new
> that might be available.

If you can find a good way to do this, sure. I find that I often
have to do several runs of diff and the editor and perhaps other
tools to merge changes; simply printing out both files and saying
`which one do you want?' certainly doesn't cut it.

> Still installing NetBSD is not difficult but can take a while when you
> have to reconfigure everything.

That gets easier with practice. If you are doing any serious work
at all, you should have a non-production machine running NetBSD
that you can do trial runs of this sort of thing on.

Having done a few /etc upgrades now, I find I can configure a
machine in about twenty minutes with the new rc.conf stuff we now
have. I'm still contemplating schemes for doing better version
control and the like for this sort of thing.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'