Subject: When is the next release or snapshot due?
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org' <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1997 03:41:11
I'm new to this mailing list even though I've been on the port-vax list
for years. I'm currently running both NetBSD/vax and NetBSD/i386 on
several machines and have been generally happy with it.

Now to my question: When is the next release of NetBSD or the next
snapshot of NetBSD/i386 due?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm in the process of moving our busy FTP
archive from an Alpha running DU to a Pentium PRO server. Naturally I
chose NetBSD as the operating system of choice. Only problem is that on
this machine I need lots of RAM, I currently have 128MB installed but
this might actually not be enough. I installed NetBSD-1.2.1 and noticed
that it didn't configure more than 64MB. I thought "no problemo" and set
"EXTMEM_SIZE=130048" in the kernel config file.

Whammo, I'm dropped into the debugger with a Page Table Directories
overflow (panic: ptdi 21c023). Very funny. I grab the latest -current
kernel source and notice that the NKPDE handling is different. There is
also an "options I686_CPU", nice!

After compiling the -current (1.2E) kernel I now of course have problems
with every program trying to read kmem (vmstat, ps, top, netstat and so
on...)

I made a naive attempt at compiling just a new libkvm from the -current
source but there were of course undefined symbols and whatnot.

Now what? Linux? (just kidding!)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2