Subject: Re: PPP into ISP with PAP authentication.
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@media-city.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/29/1997 14:57:04
On Thu, 29 May 1997 00:56:44 -0400 (EDT)  Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

> PS. I do have the "+pap" & "user loginName" lines in my "/etc/ppp/options"
> 	file, and the "loginName * passWord" line in my "/etc/ppp/pap-secrets"
> 	file, but I still can't get it to validate after the modem connects.

You probably don't want the +pap option.  If I understand correctly,
this will require that your ISP authenticate to you with PAP.  This
is unlikely to occur!

I think if you just get the ppp-secrets file right and leave ou
tthe options for [+-]pap it might work.

Warning: I'm guessing; I've only had people dial in and authenticate
with PAP; not had to use it to connect to my ISP.

Giles