Subject: Transfer from linux to NetBSD ...
To: i386 NetBSD <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: ad675@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca <ad675@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1997 22:44:39
Hi everyone,

I got a 486 box installed with linux, and a sun3/50 netboot from the 486.
Now, I am wondering if I can transfer the OS from Linux to NetBSD in
convenience. (I heard that NetBSD is more like UNIX than Linux. 8-)
I want to know the amount of work like:

   * Do I need to re-partition the disk? I have a 120Meg ext2 partition
     for the linux.
   * How many floppies I need to grab from the net.
   * For sure I need to recompile the kernel. But how about the other
     linux packages. Will they work with NetBSD kernel?
   * Do I need to reinstall the XFree386/X11 packages.
   * How many disk space will be used for sun3 netboot? It is about
     2-3Meg in Linux which makes sun3 work as a dump Xterminal. However,
     I hope the sun3 can provide net services like telnet and ftp at the
     same time.

Any hint is welcome. Thank you.

yin