Subject: Re: Son of diskless boot
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/23/1997 08:49:48
On Fri, 23 May 1997 02:44:00 -0400 (EDT)
 maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> wrote:

 > I'm still working on getting this system to come up cleanly using
 > netboot.com (the libsa version).  If I configure and build a system
 > and boot it with netboot, the system can't determine its boot device,
 > hence it can't determine its root device.
 >
 > At the point where it stops, the kernel prints:
 > boot device: <unknown>
 > root device:

..the interface between the boot program and the kernel on the i386
leaves a lot to be desired.. there's currently no mechanism to communicate
"booted from network".

 > So as I said the last time I brought this up, I tried the following
 > config line (and several variations) to explicitly specify where the
 > root device is:
 >
 > config	netbsd root on ep0 type nfs
 >
 > But config complains:
 >
 > tanstaafl# config FOO
 > FOO85: netbsd says root on ep0, but there's no ep0
 > *** Stop.
 >
 > Is there a correct way to do what I mean, or have I encountered a bug
 > in config?

Looks like a bug in config... since I made these changes to config, I'll
take a look at it.  (Home sick with the flu, so this will help keep
me from keeling over from boredom :-)