Subject: Re: true-parity RAM versus psuedo-parity RAM
To: None <ronald@demon.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1997 22:50:51
On Wed, 21 May 1997 ronald@demon.net wrote:

> [on pseudo-parity RAM:]
>
> It allows you to use the simm in a machine which >requires< parity to
> be presented to the memory socket.  Naturally, you do not get any parity
> protection.  I suspect that this would work in your sparc if you don't
> care about parity protection.

My suspicion is that it would not work in many models of Sparc. My
IPX takes parity 72-pin SIMMs, but appears to use only one bit for
parity for each 32-bit word. (It came with 33-bit-wide SIMMs.)
36-bit wide SIMMs work just fine, but I expect that 32-bit wide
SIMMs that generate four parity bits for each of the four bytes of
a 32-bit word would not work.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'