Subject: Re: true-parity RAM versus psuedo-parity RAM
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1997 16:04:58
Ross Harvey drunkenly mumbled...

> Now, Brian was talking about 30-pin old-style SIMMS. I seriously doubt
> if any 430HX system board takes these old things. Those simms can't be
> used on anything modern. They will work in anything that takes the old
> kind, though, because the parity is ignored on boxes that used only
> 8-bit no-parity SIMMS.

you get 1 million bonus points for actually reading what i posted!!! :)

to rehash:

i have a 486 EISA motherboard that has 16 30-pin SIMM slots (this was the
							     really important
							     part)
i also have a lead on 8 4M 30-pin "true-parity" (ie: 9chip) SIMMS and wanted
to know if i gained anything by using the 9chip SIMMS instead of the 3chip
SIMMS. (i have 8 4M "pseudo-parity" 3chip SIMMS as it is)  now, the answer
i dug up here was: if your motherboard supports it.  well, how do i tell?
i think i remeber seeing in the manual that this board does in fact supprt
true-parity SIMMS.  so yes, they are supported, but what do i gain exactly?

thanks,

-brian

--
I'm asking because I've got two VS3100's in need of a real and pleasant to
use operating system.  (VMS is unpleasant and Ultrix is not a real OS).

		-Brian D Chase (asking about NetBSD support of the VS3100)