Subject: Re: The diskless boot saga continues
To: None <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1997 02:28:27
>Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:02:37 -0400 (EDT)
>From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>

>- What type of chip does the 3c509 use for its boot prom?  All I know
>is it's 32K in size...but I can't find a part number in the manual or
>on 3COM's web site.  Is this a standard chip or do I need to buy them
>from 3COM?  Any suggestions for a PROM burner that will do this chip?

Almost certainly a 27C512.  EPROMs, like almost all memory ICs, use a
JEDEC-standard pinout, so any manufacturer will do.  Likewise, almost
anything billing itself as an EPROM programmer should be able to
handle the part.

Make sure you get the EEPROM in the proper package; PLCCs won't work
in a DIP socket, and vice versa.  Also, make sure you properly match
the notch in the end of the EPROM with the notch in the socket, or you
may let the Magic Smoke out of your PC. :-)
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel