Subject: Re: Problems talking to Zoom internal at com3
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1997 13:56:08
William O Ferry drunkenly mumbled...

>     I recently added a Zoom 33.6 internal modem to my NetBSD/i386 box
> (DX4/100).  It's working fine under DOS and Win95 at IRQ 3 addr
> 02E8-02EF (COM4).  I set NetBSD to these settings, and it came up as
> com3 just fine.  I made the device /dev/tty03, but I can't seem to talk
> to it.  I've tried setting up the ppp / chat scripts, but chat just
> seems to time out.  I've tried talking to the modem via tip, but it just
> seems to hang, ^C gets me out of tip.

this might not be the problem, but this is something i have experienced in the
past with Linux.  Windows and DOS don't have any trouble sharing IRQs. Linux
(and probably all PC UN*Xes) aren't able to do this as well.  if you have
a serial port that isn't being used, disable that serial port and set the
modem to use the disabled serial port's IRQ & I/O port.  this *should* solve
your problem.

-brian

ps: the reason i don't know about this is ever since i had trouble years ago
with the same thing i have never used shared IRQs anymore since.  in general
shared IRQs are a Bad Idea(tm)

--
"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
 Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding!  Evil