Subject: Problems talking to Zoom internal at com3
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/20/1997 13:46:33
    I recently added a Zoom 33.6 internal modem to my NetBSD/i386 box
(DX4/100).  It's working fine under DOS and Win95 at IRQ 3 addr
02E8-02EF (COM4).  I set NetBSD to these settings, and it came up as
com3 just fine.  I made the device /dev/tty03, but I can't seem to talk
to it.  I've tried setting up the ppp / chat scripts, but chat just
seems to time out.  I've tried talking to the modem via tip, but it just
seems to hang, ^C gets me out of tip.

    Any suggestions?  Was I wrong to choose com3 instead of com2 (com0
and 1 exist on my machine, I chose com3 since it's COM4 on DOS)?  It
would still be tty03, right?  Do I need an entry for it in /etc/ttys to
do PPP?  Do I need an entry for it anywhere else?  I can include copies
of the ppp / chat scripts I was using, though they're basically from the
faq at http://www.resort.com/~banshee/Tech/ppp.html  The ppp0 device
does exist, I've used it in a direct serial connection (over com0) to
another machine before.  I can access the modem with any typical DOS
terminal program, so I don't believe the modem is any kind of
Windows-only modem.

    I'd greatly appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/