Subject: Re: PCMCIA support fails on Peacock Challenger 590
To: None <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington-heights.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1997 08:20:27

MS> In article <5lgdsr$5rl@colwyn.owl.de>,
MS> 	tron@lyssa.owl.de (Matthias Scheler) writes:

MS> pcicmaster0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1
MS> pcic0 at pcicmaster0: Intel 82365sl Rev. 0 slots 0-1 iomem d4000-d4fff irq 11
MS> pcmcia0 at pcic0
MS> pcmcia0: slot 0 contains <3Com Corporation, 3C589, TP/BNC LAN Card Ver.  1a, 000001>

MS> But afterwards the driver can't attach it:

MS> pcmcia0: slot 0 requested irq 10, avail_mask 0
MS> bus_config 19
MS> pcmcia0: slot 0: No matching config entry.
MS> pcmcia0: slot 1 is empty

MS> But I *have* an entry for the card in the configuration file. I've
MS> attached the kernel configuration, maybe I'm missing something.

I suspect you're running into bugs in the pcmcia code--part of the
reason it really needs to be redone from scratch.

The particular message you quote above (avail_mask 0) means the pcmcia
code thinks there are no IRQs acceptable to the 3c589 card, and so it
punts on configuring the card.  Try turning on PCMCIA_ISA_DEBUG to get
more details, but I'm not sure it will help in the end.

==John