Subject: PCVT Charsets
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/1997 00:51:04
I've been using pcvt for a while now, and it's great for the virtual
terminal support.  However, it seems a little rought around the edges in
some places.  For example, I've got a text file which makes heavy use of
extended dos characters (the i386 programmers reference manual infact),
and I would like to be able to read it under NetBSD.  I figured there
should be some easy way to setup a different font or character set or
something (especially considering all the utilities that PCVT comes with).

Anyway, I havn't been able to totally figure out the character set stuff.
I understand that GL is for character 20h to 7fh, and GR is for a0h to
ffh.  I've been able to swap theese around to any of the predefined
character sets, but what about the characters in the C1 range (80h-9fh),
and how can I change the "character set".  After using the font editing
utility, I noticed that the font itself (vt220l.*) is the standard MSDOS
character set (well, it's atleast close), but I havn't been able to get
anything to display some of those characters (I've never seen character
219 - the full box) - presumably because pcvt does some sort of mapping.
Is there any way to turn that mapping off?  I really don't care about all
the multinational stuff etc..

IMHO, Pcvt looses some robustness becuase of added "features" that aren't
fully configurable.  Forcing the intensity bit to be used for a second
character set is another example.  Is much of this because of the VT220
standard (I could under stand that - compatability and all), or is it just
PCVT?  If it's just PCVT, could someone point me to the official VT220
standard information - I'd like to touch up (maybe totally rewrite) PCVT
to make it more practical.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, I'm just tired of rebooting into dos.  I
could just live with it, but then again I COULD just use windoze all the
time <grin>.  How do others feel about it?  I guess "real" UNIX people
are just happy not to be using punch cards...

Thanks,
	Rick

Rick Byers                                      Internet Access Worldwide
rickb@iaw.on.ca                                      System Administrator
Welland, Ontario, Canada                                    (905)714-1400
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/                         http://www.iaw.on.ca/