Subject: Re: new SSTO boot floppy available + new boot blocks
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/1997 01:27:25
----Next_Part(Mon_May__5_01:26:26_1997)--

[ Note: current-users@NetBSD.ORG removed as recipient, as this is
  highly i386-specific ]

> I've put up a snapshot of the new Single Stage To Orbit (SSTO)
> install system in ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/ssto

Hi, I picked up the updated version (1.2C 970314b) of the SSTO
distribution and toyed with it a bit on an old PC we had sitting
idle.  This PC was a 486sx25 with 8M of RAM, and since there
appears to be an interest in keeping NetBSD installable on 4M
hardware I yanked out one of the two SIMMs in the machine.

Contrary to the other report I saw, it managed to boot using the
above version, altough some things were painfully slow (e.g. "ls
-l"), and some things just didn't work (I tried running fsck on
the NetBSD 1.1 root file system on the 104MB IDE drive, and after
what appeared to be one disk access on the IDE drive it simply
hung, and ^C couldn't get it back).

During boot-up NetBSD says "avail mem = 516096" which isn't much.
I also noticed it said "75 buffers containing 307200 bytes",
which in comparison seemed a little excessive.

Thus, after some fiddling with the SSTO config file I managed to
generate my own SSTO floppy, and in the end I got NetBSD to tell
me "avail mem = 774144" and "20 buffers containing 81920 bytes",
and lo and behold, "ls -l" output was quick and fsck of the IDE
root file system worked Just Fine.  I didn't try much else.

Oh, BTW, I generated the SSTO floppy from 1.2D sources of May 1st
vintage, and both wds0 and wds1 were mis-detected as present, and
when it came around to probe the two SCSI buses it thought it had
it timed out a lot of times (12 on each controller?) before the
autoconf phase of the NetBSD startup continued.

If anyone want to try the SSTO floppy I generated they can have a
look at

	ftp://trane.uninett.no/tmp/ssto-12D.fs
and
	ftp://trane.uninett.no/tmp/SSTO

I've also left a signature file (ssto-12D.fs.asc) in the same
directory as the above two.

Diffs between the SSTO config file Perry made available and the
one above is also attached below for your convenience.

Regards,

- Havard

----Next_Part(Mon_May__5_01:26:26_1997)--

*** SSTO.dist	Sun May  4 23:15:35 1997
--- SSTO	Mon May  5 00:33:38 1997
***************
*** 1,11 ****
! #	$NetBSD: INSTALL,v 1.33 1997/03/13 04:15:26 cgd Exp $
  #
! #	INSTALL -- an installation kernel config.
! #                     adapters.    This kernel should be GENERICOTHER with lines
! #                     deleted, not commented out, so it is easy to maintain.
  #
! #		      Install kernels no longer support X,
! #                     soundcards, or non-NetBSD emulation.
! #                     These are commented out, comments above notwithstanding.
  #

--- 1,8 ----
! #	$NetBSD$
  #
! #	SSTO -- an installation kernel config.
  #
! #	        Install kernels no longer support X,
! #               soundcards, or non-NetBSD emulation.
  #

***************
*** 28,35 ****
  #options	INSECURE	# insecure; allow /dev/mem writing for X

! maxusers	32		# estimated number of users
  options		RTC_OFFSET=0	# hardware clock is this many mins. west of GMT
  #options	NTP		# NTP phase/frequency locked loop

  # Enable the hooks used for initializing the memory-disk.
  options		MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
--- 25,36 ----
  #options	INSECURE	# insecure; allow /dev/mem writing for X

! maxusers	4		# estimated number of users
  options		RTC_OFFSET=0	# hardware clock is this many mins. west of GMT
  #options	NTP		# NTP phase/frequency locked loop

+ # Reduce number of FS buffers
+ options		NBUF=20
+ options		BUFPAGES=20
+
  # Enable the hooks used for initializing the memory-disk.
  options		MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
***************
*** 65,69 ****

  #options	USER_LDT	# user-settable LDT; used by WINE
! options		LKM		# loadable kernel modules

  file-system 	FFS		# UFS
--- 66,70 ----

  #options	USER_LDT	# user-settable LDT; used by WINE
! #options		LKM		# loadable kernel modules

  file-system 	FFS		# UFS
***************
*** 179,183 ****
  st*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI tape drives
  cd*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI CD-ROM drives
! ch*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI autochangers
  #ss*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI scanners
  #uk*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI unknown
--- 180,184 ----
  st*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI tape drives
  cd*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI CD-ROM drives
! #ch*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI autochangers
  #ss*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI scanners
  #uk*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI unknown
*** 234,238 ****
  #pseudo-device	tun	2		# network tunneling over tty

! pseudo-device	pty	64		# pseudo-terminals
  #pseudo-device	tb	1		# tablet line discipline
  #pseudo-device	vnd	4		# paging to files
--- 235,239 ----
  #pseudo-device	tun	2		# network tunneling over tty

! pseudo-device	pty	16		# pseudo-terminals