Subject: Re: scsi error message i can't decode
To: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/1997 16:48:35
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Andrew Brown wrote:

> sd0(bt0:0:0): medium error, info = 1478388 (decimal), data = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> every few minutes.  i grepped and viewed my way through a lot of the
> code in scsi/, but could not find any references to what the number
> 1478388 meant.  my "colleague" says it's a sector number.  i say no,
> but cannot offer a better alternative.  assistance please?

It's the block (512-byte blocks--or a `sector') number on that SCSI
drive. Your drive is going bad; you should replace it as soon as
you can.

If this is an older Barracuda drive, check the cooling. Older
Barracuda drives need a *lot* of cooling. Under most circumstances
I expect you can't just stick one in a case with a single fan in
a room-temperature room and expect it to live long.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates