Subject: Re: fsck & ccd
To: None <codewarrior@daemon.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/1997 07:53:30
> >This is the most convincing argument i've heard thus far for the fact
> >that the i386 default limits are too low...  If you can't even fsck a
> >'reasonable size' disk/partition with the default limits, there's a
> >problem.
>
> why don't we just make fsck check and adjust these limits for itself?
> can't we "assume" that it knows what it's doing?  granted, perhaps
> they are a little low for some things, but since anything can modify
> them if need be, why are shells the only things that do (more or less)?

Maybe the critical commands like fsck _could_ do this, but I feel that
the defaults shouls still be made higher.  I have had similar problems
with fsck, inn (and it's friends), gcc, X, Applixware...  I never ran
into this under StunOS:

sunos# limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        524280 kbytes
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     64

NetBSD# limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        16384 kbytes
stacksize       512 kbytes
coredumpsize    0 kbytes		# set by me :-)
memoryuse       29140 kbytes
descriptors     64
memorylocked    9714 kbytes
maxproc         80

Of course, it would also be nice if NetBSD survived the "out of swap"
conditions...

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---