Subject: Re: What's going on here?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/1997 13:16:07
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Max Bell writes:
> > >From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
> > >
> > >Ain't X great?
> >
> > The failure of a given X server to properly free memory it has previously
> > allocated is the result of flawed implementation, not design.
>
> Even a properly implemented X server is a giant pig.

As compared to?  On a 24MB Sparc (LX) running -current, with X, 2 xterms,
xclock, xload, and xconsole, vmstat reports 7696 'fre'.  On my 24MB
Pentium 120 notebook, with Win95 booted, a memuse tool reports 15% (3686)
as free.

Everyone seems to like to slam X, calling it a pig, etc.  Yet what else
is there?  The only other "standard" I've seen is *Windows*, which isn't
an option.  Should we all be running MGR or something?

-Andrew