Subject: Re: timeout updating leds with new keyboard
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/1997 23:49:14
>I just got a new keyboard (a PC Concepts "The 'Wave' 109-Key Keyboard"),
>and whenever I hit caps lock, scroll lock, or num lock, I get "pc:
>timeout updating leds", and the LEDs don't change. I'm using the "pc"
>console driver, haven't tried with pcvt yet. The keyboard has a PS/2
>style connector on it, and came with an adapter for the normal AT-style
>connector.

I've been wondering about this for a while too.  I've got an Intel
Venus ppro motherboard with ps/2 connectors for the mouse and kbd.  It
appears that this motherboard doesn't have any provisions for sending
any output out the ps/2 connector.  It only has an rx, power, ground
and a clock (???) pin.  There is no tx.  I had figured that this was
just an Intel cost cutting measure.  Perhaps no ps/2 connectors have
any tx to the kbd/mouse?  Could this be?  Perhaps thats why your ps/2
kbd doesn't listen for tx to it -- its not expecting any.  That would
lead to new observations along the lines of: "ps/2 i/o connectors --
only half an i/o connector" ;-)

While I find the leds being in the wrong state anonying, the fact that
one can't program the mouse is downright debilitating.  I have this
Mouse Systems ps/2 "pro" mouse that insists on bouncing the button on
release of any button.  In essence it double-clicks on every button
release.  How does one use one of these ps/2 thingies???  Is there
really not way to program the mouse to use more reasonable defaults?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     <http://www.wsrcc.com/>