Subject: Re: Netscape 4.0b2
To: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
From: Mike Wlodarczyk <mike@delfin.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/1997 18:04:13
Jeff Thieleke wrote:

>> > I downloaded the linux Netscape 4.0 (seems Netscape forgot about the BSD
>> > people) and tried running and it core dumped and returned "Floating
>> > exception".  Anyone know if this is a bg in the NetBSD linux emulation?
>>
>> Mmmh, where is the difference between bsd and bsd2?
>
>Good question - they both seem to work fine on my NetBSD 1.2C/x86 system,
>although bsd2 locked up once while exiting.  I haven't tried the Linux
>version of 4.0b2, but from past experience, the BSD versions usually run
>better.  I have heard Linux people say Netscape doesn't run very well
>even on Linux, so the problem may not be in the emulation...
>
>bsd:
>% file netscape
>netscape: unknown pure executable
>
>bsd2:
>% file netscape
>netscape: BSD/OS i386 compact demand paged executable

On my NetBSD-1.2/i386 system, file claimed:

bsd:	386BSD demand paged executable
bsd2:	BSDI demand paged executable

Different ?MAGIC formats ?

Also, the bsd2 version didn't grok my XNLSPATH value and dumped core before
displaying anything. The bsd version ran, although it took numerous core dumps.
--
Mike Wlodarczyk, Delfin Systems, 408-748-1200
mike@delfin.com