Subject: Re: vendor 0x9004 product 0x6178? :-o
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/1997 17:05:10
> This is an Adaptec 2940AU (notice the A).  Adaptec decided to cut their
> cost while keeping the price the same, so they replaced the aic7880 on
> this card with an aic7860.  The aic7860 has only 3 SCBs insead of the 16
> on the aic7880.  So, don't use this in your server.  As far as I know, the
> 2940UW still uses the aic7880 as do the 3940 products which I would
> recommend in stead.

Eeeeek..  And they purchased this AU card for the server already (a nice
machine otherwise - 80 MB RAM (gotta figure out how to make it use all
RAM ;) and almost 20 GB of disk.

> The aic7xxx driver should treat the aic7860 just like an aic7850 with
> Ultra support as well as a serial eeprom.  This is already done in the
> current version of the FreeBSD driver.

But this 2940AU driver suffers from the same problems as the 2742 driver
(runs out of SCB's when more than 1-2 disks are being used)?

Thanks - now I only hope they can replace the card :-I

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---