Subject: Re: vendor 0x9004 product 0x6178? :-o
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/1997 16:04:21
>(Yeah, maybe we should create a separate mailing list for me and my stupid
>questions...)
>
>Trying to set up a new machine, my kernel isn't recognizing the SCSI card.
>I thought it was an Adaptec 2940 derivative, but:
>
>vendor 0x9004 product 0x6178 (class mass storage, subclass SCSI, revision 0x01)
> at pci0 dev 20 function 0 not configured

This is an Adaptec 2940AU (notice the A).  Adaptec decided to cut their
cost while keeping the price the same, so they replaced the aic7880 on
this card with an aic7860.  The aic7860 has only 3 SCBs insead of the 16
on the aic7880.  So, don't use this in your server.  As far as I know, the
2940UW still uses the aic7880 as do the 3940 products which I would
recommend in stead.

The aic7xxx driver should treat the aic7860 just like an aic7850 with
Ultra support as well as a serial eeprom.  This is already done in the
current version of the FreeBSD driver.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations