Subject: Re: Object Distributions
To: dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/1997 12:33:18
> Is there any chance of getting a consensus fix on the NORMAL_O
> macro in Makefile.i386 file? Its rather trivial to do, but there is no
> proper directory to put the objects.
>
> for Makefile.i386
>
> NORMAL_0= cp $? .
>
> I would suggest /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/OBJ for objects

That's probably a good place.

However, I, for one, strongly discourage distribution of .o files.
(No, this isn't a "your source must be freeeeeee!" lecture.  8-)

The best way that i've seen to distribute object files to be included
in kernel builds is to uuencode them and ship the uuencoded versions,
typically with the suffix '.b'.  (.uu or .UU is normal for uuencoded
files, but config wants single-letter suffixes.)

The build rule is obviously pretty simple.  (Just uudecode.)

The big advantage that this has over .o files in NetBSD (which is a
"normally-source" environment) is that people can more easily check
the uuencoded files into their revision control trees (without having
to worry about RCS keyword expansion, or 8-bit cleanliness, or
anything else).

Just a thought.  8-)

chris