Subject: Installation Questions
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allen E. Caldwell <caldwell@connectek.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/12/1997 21:57:04
I have been trying to install NetBSD 1.2 on a 486 system.

Configuration Information :

   80486DX4/100 AMD
   2s/1p/2ide/1fdc on motherboard
   16mb memory
   Adaptec 2940 ( pci )
   1gb scsi id 0
   3gb scsi id 1
   qic scsi id 2
   1.44 floppy disk
   svga ( isa )
   Kingston nic ( pci )

All goes well during the boot from kcadp12.fs, and the initial
setup of the size of the different file systems ( root, swap,
var, usr ).  But when the install starts to copy from the
inst-12.fs floppy to the hard drive filesystems, I start getting
a long stream of error messages that look like the following :

   fd0a: soft error reading fsbn 2104-2109

The numbers are different as the items scroll down up screen.
I have changed floppy drives, I have changed drive cables, I
have changed floppy disks, creating new from rawrite, and so
on, and so on.  But each time I get the same thing, maybe the
numbers are different, but the same type of errors.

Any ideas what this is about?  Any suggestions as to what to do,
or who to ask.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Allen ( caldwell@connectek.com )

Additional information :

Even with the errors, I decided to continue with the install and
see what happened.  I copy_kernel, load_tape, and configure the
system. Then on bootup, prior to any customizing of the kernel
I received a number of errors in the boot process.

Checking for coredump
save core: /netbsd: _dumpdev not in name list
.
.
Building databases
kvm_mkdb: /netbsd: stripped: inappropriate file type or format
.
.
.
After the boot the system appears to be up and working including
communicating on the network via telnet.

Thanks Allen ( caldwell@connectek.com )