Subject: Re: gimp part ii
To: Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/06/1997 19:27:36
Wailer wrote

> linux binary of gimp is bad or something.
> the freebsd 2.1 version appears to work fine except that I get
> some memory errors which appear to require a reboot to clear.
>
> gabriella% gimp salguod+lafolle.gif
> shmget failed: Cannot allocate memory
> gimp fatal error: shmget failed!
> gimp: killing: 263: /usr/local/Install/gimp-0.54/plug-ins/to-color
> gabriella%
>
> this is a 300k gif which i tried converting to RGB.  After this
> happened, I tried 'unlimit' and then restarted but received the
> shmget message rather quickly.

this is similar to what I am getting here when trying to render a few
images. They are relatively small and it works quite well at the
beginning, although somewhat slow. After a inserting a few new objects
it will crash on "Cannot allocate memory".

My next step was to build gimp using the lesstif library version 0.75
which wasn't succesful. It compiled but caused segmentation faults.
I haven't tried again with the more current version of lesstif
though....

This was using the FreeBSD-2.1 port...

cheerio Berndt
--