Subject: Re: Realaudio 3.0 and emulation
To: Nathaniel D. Daw <daw@panix.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/1997 19:39:30
Nathaniel D. Daw wrote

> Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au> writes:
>
> > I tried to get Realaudio running using the Linux and FreeBSD version.
> > By memory it failed because it uses the /dev/dsp devices which NetBSD
> > seems to lack.
>
> You can link /emul/linux/dev/dsp to /dev/audio and it works fine. At
> least, version 2.0 works fine. At least if you apply some kernel
> patches, which I can give you.
>
> This is a general necessity for linux audio support; also needed for
> doom etc.

Ok... I tried with the FreeBSD version of raplayer and this what am
getting:

25677 raplayer NAMI  "/emul/freebsd"
25677 raplayer NAMI  "/emul/freebsd/dev/dsp"
25677 raplayer RET   open 5
25677 raplayer CALL  ioctl(0x5,_IOWR('P',0xa,0x4),0xf7bfd360)
25677 raplayer RET   ioctl -1 errno 22 Invalid argument
25677 raplayer CALL  close(0x5)
25677 raplayer RET   close 0

our audio device is not compatible with dsp.

In any case I found NetBSD less suitable for building applications
using the sound devices. I tried NAS, Real Audio etc. to no avail.
These applications run on most platforms FreeBSD, Linux, Irix, hpux,
solaris etc. pp. but not NetBSD :(

For some reason we are not MultiMedia as yet ;)

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@ping.net.au