Subject: Realaudio 3.0 and emulation
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathaniel D. Daw <daw@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/1997 14:09:30
Has anyone successfully used the new RealAudio 3.0 under Linux or
FreeBSD emulation? Many people, including myself, were using a patched
kernel to run the 2.0 Linux version, but this fails for the new one.

In particular, 3.0 for Linux writes to the audio device in fragments
of various odd sizes, and we fill them up with silence to the minimum
audio blocksize, causing a stuttery and altogether unlistenable
performance. This is a general problem with our linux emulation, and
plagues the linux java port as well.

Does the new FreeBSD realaudio do the same thing? I'd try it but I'm
not set up with the libraries and such. Speaking of which, does anyone
have a tarred up /emul/freebsd they could slide me? I've looked at
ftp.freebsd.org, but I couldn't find anything but thousands of those
infernal segmented tar files.

nath