Subject: com overflows
To: NetBSD i386 <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/1997 22:43:17
Well, I didn't think it would be this bad, but it is.  My 133 MHz pentium
which is almost idle, can't keep up with my 28800 bps modem.  I get lots
of silo overflows while there's no IDE disk or network activity.  I moved
my modem over to this pentium last week, but I guess it was a mistake.
My Amiga 3000 (with an A2232 serial card) never had problems (although it's
CPU runs at 1/25 of the speed of this pentium machine, according to some
benchmarks).

There _must_ be something blocking the interrupts for long periods of time.
Isn't there a way of finding out what it is?  Doesn't anybody care? ;-) :-(

Is there anything that would help?  I'm still running 1.2 on my systems, so
the recent fixes aren't available to me.  I guess I could set up the Amiga
again, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a pentium system with
16-byte FIFOs can't receive data at 38400 or 57600 bps.  The lowliest CPU
or microcontroller can do it.  Even Commodore 64 without an UART chip can
cope with 38400 bps (using bit-banging).  Argh. ;)

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---