Subject: Re: more agressive kernel and std library build cflags
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/1997 00:06:56
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >I compile all of my kernels (for the past 6 months or so) with the
> >Pentium version of gcc, with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mpentium
> >(aggressive enough for you? :)
>
> I seem to remember that Bruce Evans reported that using
> -fomit-frame-pointer to compile FreeBSD kernels caused kernel crashes.
> What version of a `pentium gcc' is the -mpentium used with, and where
> did you get it from?

I downloaded the gcc 2.7.2p-pl9 patch from
<http://goof.com/pcg/data/gcc-2.7.2-2.7.2p-pl9.diff.gz>,
then applied it against the version of gcc in NetBSD-current as of
last June.  I also made a few changes, such as renaming all of the
binaries and libraries from <name> to p<name>, so they can
live alongside the standard gcc (although I only use pgcc now).

I still have the diffs against NetBSD gcc, if anyone is interested.

I think the key with using pgcc is patching the NetBSD version of gcc,
not the standard 2.7.2. If I remember correctly, my first attempt at
using pgcc was just a patched version of standard gcc 2.7.2 - that
version failed miserably, especially when trying to compile the kernel.

Jeff Thieleke