Subject: Re: Installing from DOS partition
To: Jose Alburquerque <jose@alexandria.net>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/22/1997 11:28:30
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Jose Alburquerque wrote:

> Hi.  I'm trying to install NetBSD on my Pentium.  I've managed to download
> all the binary sets necessary, the floppy images, and utilities.  I've
> also been able to partition my hardrive to make room for NetBSD.  The only
> problem I have is that I don't have two floppy drives.  Is it possible to
> install NetBSD from a DOS partition?

	The initial install is done from floppy -you need two floppy
	_disks_, but only one drive. These floppies will give you a
	bootable system on the harddisk (enough to boot & install the
	rest, quite possibly from the DOS partition).

> Another question not related to the first ist that under DOS (using fdisk
> and pfdisk) my disk geometry is:
>    263 255 63 (Cyls, heads, Sectors)
>
> But the NetBSD install kernel reports:
>    673 5 126 (Cyls, heads, Sectors)
>
> Which one should I use?  (My harddrive is a 2063 MB IBM DORS-32160W !#
> Drive).  Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!  Thanks.

	Given that the boot blocks use the BIOS you'll want to go with the
	BIOS geometry (The former).

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.