Subject: Re: more agressive kernel and std library build cflags
To: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/22/1997 00:52:32
>Laine Stump wrote:
>> Has anyone experimented with the effects of building the kernel (and
>> libc, for that matter) with more agressive options? 1.2 builds with
>> simply "-O2". What about making it something like:
>>         -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486

>I compile all of my kernels (for the past 6 months or so) with the
>Pentium version of gcc, with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mpentium
>(aggressive enough for you? :)

Cool.  I'll have to try that. :-)

I've been using this for years with great results.  I know that
Charles used to build stuff at -O6, so I had a good feeling that
things were at least tested by a competant person.  I don't know if he
still does that, but I still use this for the system, libraries and
binaries (as opposed to non-NetBSD stuff):

	-O6 -m486 -pipe -fno-strength-reduce

For stuff that doesn't come with NetBSD, I'm a little more nervous
using -O6 (since I've seen stuff in code that gets optimized away,
breaking things, though not often).  So, I use this for other stuff:

	-O2 -m486 -pipe -fno-strength-reduce

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net