Subject: Q: ASUS 486SP3G and AMD DX4/100??
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/1997 14:45:31
    I realize that this is off topic, but it does relate to my NetBSD
system, and I've seen people on this mailing list before who own this
motherboard, so I figured I might actually get an answer from this
group.  So far I have not received a reply on ASUS's newsgroup or their
tech support address.

    My NetBSD box is an ASUS PCI-I/486SP3G (Revision 1.8), with an AMD
DX4/100 (the chip actually says AMD486DX-100NV8T, or something similar).
 The CPU selection info in my manual doesn't have anything specific for
100MHz CPUs and if I follow their DX4 instructions (which is the same
for DX and DX2), the BIOS reports 486DX2 at 66MHz, and the Linux
BogoMips agree, I get 33.55, which is right on par for a 66MHz 486.  The
problem is that I have a 100MHz CPU!  =)

    I just checked out ASUS's webpages, and their CPU information for
the SP3G had settings for the AMD DX4 NV8T that differed from the jumper
settings I had been using.  I switched over to them, and when the
machine booted it actually said 486DX2 at 100MHz, but the machine was
running VERY slow (you could actually watch lines of text be displayed
character by character).  I ran the BogoMips test again, and it reported
5.91.  For a 100MHz 486, this value should be right around 50.  So
obviously something was wrong with those jumper settings, too.

    If anybody out in NetBSD land is using this motherboard with an AMD
DX4/100, I'd really appreciate knowing what jumper settings you're using
(at least for the main CPU ones, JP30-JP38.  Ideally, I'd like to hear
all the jumper and BIOS settings for a machine that's running
satisfactorily, so that I can compare them with mine).

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/