Subject: Re: Cyclades 8Yo Board
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/1997 10:40:36
> Is the Cyclades driver in the current tree in pretty good condition?

I have been using that driver for 9 months in production use.  I have the
16-port PCI card, 9 ports are currently in use.

> Will an 8Yo board enable my 486/40 to run a 115Kbps line at full
> speed without problems?

Well, the Cyclades cards use a chip which only has 12 bytes of FIFO for
each port and direction.  If something blocks your interrupts for too long
a time, you'll get FIFO overruns.  On the other hand, if you swap the DTR
and RTS wires in your serial cable, the Cyclades hardware can automatically
negate RTS before the FIFO overruns.  With well-behaving modems, this prevents
any overruns.  For this to work, you need to add 'options CY_HW_RTS' in your
kernel config file.

Cyclades was working on some real good serial cards last year.  I don't know
if they are selling that card already.. if so, I think we should try to get
a driver for it.  (I'd be interested in working on one if I had the time.)

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---