Subject: Re: stty doesn't stick!??
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: noud de brouwer <noud@pop.knot.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/1997 22:13:18
>This issue is driver-specific, and thus ends up being port-specific.

that's what i meaned..

>second or third open, while the first fd is still open, don't count).
                                       ^ fd??
but i get the drift..

>The current mac zstty serial driver (not the M.I. one), the zs driver the

M.I. one ???

>mac68k had since 1.1 (the one you tested over a year ago), the original
>ser driver (and the 1.2 atari and amiga serial drivers) all reset the port
>settings to the defaults only if the speed was 0 - only the first time
>after boot. Most other serial drivers (certainly the com driver on the
>i386) will reset to defaults on every first open. The difference is two
>fold.

cristal clear..ThanX

>2) stty won't work the way you're used to (the settings aren't sticky).

hum..maybe the shortested route for me is getting
stty to work the way i know it.

>There actually was a great debate on current-users a few months ago about
>this very point. Both sides have merit.

being not so unix as most of us ..
much discussion/dialog goes over my head until i need it..
(i slowly learn more about this all.)

>My solution was to come up with per-port settable defaults. They're kinda
>like what people have called "BSDI defaults," but I've never used BSDI.
>The patches to impliment them are sitting in a languishing pr (I've
>forgotten the #). Basically stty gains a "-D" flag, and you can change the
>defaults for a port. Just what you want to do.
>
>I think the pr's patches include a patch to the dev/isa/com driver.

-->Bill, where or how can i seek trough the prs to find your change??

>(thech note: basically the tty structure grew to include a defaults

clear..grobally

>Your other option is to set the default speeds in the ppp optins file, or
>to change the speed in the getty setup (depends on how people call in).

i do both .. and people call in with there passwd file.

btw: Bill thanx much for being a authority on serials on both sides
(mac68k & i386)
~n