Subject: Re: linux emulation problem
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/1996 16:14:47
On 19 Dec 1996, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.3.93.961219111630.1754K-100000@bonzai>,
> 	Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM> writes:
> >
> > How would you determine which binaries were Solaris/SVR4 binaries?
>
> I suppose there is a way to identify some Solaris-x86 binaries, isn't it?
> This should be left untouched of course. But the binaries which are not
> certainly Solaris-x86 binaries should be better executed as Linux
> binaries.

That's preciely the problem.  ELF doesn't (currently) distinguish between
different OS vendors.  The assumption is that if you have an ELF
executable, it uses the SVR4 ABI.  Currently we attempt to hack around
this limitation by looking for clues that the binary might have been built
for a Linux system, but as Jason pointed out, those clues aren't always
there.

--scott