Subject: Strange misbehaviour of ahc driver/scsi code: doesn't find disks!
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/19/1996 12:46:29
I have a Pentium Pro system with a 2940U and a 3940U in it.  Each channel
has a single IBM DORS-32160 2GB disk on it; the 2940 also has an IBM CDROM.

I've built a set of -current install disks with an appropriate kernel for
this machine, and am trying to get it up and running.  It used to run
Solaris reasonably well.

I have the ahc, scsibus, and sd lines in the config file wildcarded.  The
three 7880 chips are probed fine; ahc0 at pci0, ahc1 and ahc2 at pci1,
which is on ppb0 on pci0.  The driver prints out a line of the form
"scsibus0: 8 targets" and goes no further -- that is, the machine comes up
fine, but the disks and cdrom are not probed or attached and I can't use
them.

The machine is a 200MHz Pentium Pro with an Orion GX chipset and 128MB of
4-way interleaved memory.  Aside from some oddness about the fourth PCI
slot (for some reason bus-mastering cards won't work in it) it seems to work
fine and did so for quite a while in an identical configuration running
Solaris 2.5.1.   The only other device on the PCI bus is a PCNet-PCI Ethernet
card.

Any ideas?

Thor