Subject: looking for MB and SCSI hardware, recommendations
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Josef Burger <bolo@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/1996 15:02:24
I'm looking for some hardware.   Are there any recommendations about
the hardware itself, or for places to get either item?

1) I'm looking to put together a mid-performance machine; this
asus board seems really nice, and has scsi onboard, although
it is NCR :-(

	Asus 486-sp3g motherboard with saturn II chipset and a "dx4"/100
	(and the fast sram tag to enable the write-back on the board)

2) Until I built my recent news machine with ncr scsi controllers,
I've been happy using adaptec or buslogic mailbox controllers such as
the 1542, 1742, and 946.  I see that buslogic no longer manufactures
the 946c/956c, which has apparently been replaced with the 948c/958c
ultra scsi controller.  Are these newer controllers still mailbox
compatible (read as "work with the bt driver":-), or are they
something new and wonderful and incompatible?

	I may be looking for two buslogic controllers to replace the
	ncr controllers in the news box if I can't resolve the
	reliability problems with the NCR scsi driver.  Any
	suggestions on places that have *really good* prices on 9[45]6
	or the 9[45]8 if they are compatible?

thanks!
bolo