Subject: Re: Crash!
To: Nick Loman <nick@csosl.co.uk>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/1996 12:55:35
Quoting Nick Loman,

> NetBSD actually crashed on me last night, after an uptime of nearly 55
> days! Unfortunately the system did not come back up until I hit the reboot
> button. Fair enough- I did not have ttyv0 around to see what was going on,
> but is there a way to make NetBSD attempt to recover and reboot itself in
> similar circumstances? Perhaps it was just severity of crash which
> prevented it doing exactly that? Or perhaps NetBSD went into some kind of
> maintenance mode.

It depends on the crash. If it's a panic, then the machine will reboot
itself. Unless you have the kernel debugger, DDB, compiled in, in which
case it'll drop into that. But I assume you don't have DDB configured.

If it's a hang-crash, like a deadlock, endless loop, or some weird hardware
state, there's nothing you can do except press that reset button.

- Frank