Subject: Re: Cyrix / AMD?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Sean Berry (most of the time) <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/1996 03:45:54
>Well, in my case, I'm looking for a relatively cheap system (because the
>PPro is so expensive at the moment) and I can get a 166 MHz Cyrix a bit
>cheaper than a 133 MHz Intel, so the Cyrix sounds like a good choice.
>I just wanted to make sure that the Cyrix runs NetBSD without problems
>and from all the messages I have received, it does.

I haven't seen any problems with the Pentium class chips.

>I can run some benchmarks on the Cyrix when I get the machine (if there's
>interest and I can find the source :-)

If it can rebuild the system, you've got a good chance of being ok.  :)

>By the way, is it worth getting a 512k cache or does NetBSD run just as
>well with 256k?  I have no idea of how much the secondary cache size
>affects performance.

For my system, a second 256k PB cache simm (SELP?) cost $25.  The
performance gain was more than worth the investment.
--
Sean Berry is a computer scientist trapped in an engineer's mind.
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret my opinions as those of my