Subject: Re: Cyrix / AMD?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Sean Berry (most of the time) <spberry@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/1996 03:34:42
>The Cyrix chips are great if you want something pretty fast on a good
>budget.  If you have enough money to go all-out, the Pentium Pro
>currently can't be touched by anything that runs NetBSD, except a
>pretty hefty Alpha.

Hell, they seem to hold up pretty nicely even against the Alphas.
If you were looking to build a raytracing farm, you could do much worse than
to put up a rack of n PPros running BSD.  :)

(1 AXP 500, 1 AXP 250, 1 PPro on my renderfarm)

The 500 and 250 (both clocked at 300mhz) are roughly comparable in speed,
with the PPro being about half as fast for FP.
--
Sean Berry is a computer scientist trapped in an engineer's mind.
I imagine someone is likely to misinterpret my opinions as those of my