Subject: Re: Cyrix / AMD?
To: None <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Van Maren <vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/1996 08:19:53
	Hi,

	How good are the Cyrix and AMD CPU's?  Are there any problems running NetBSD
	on them?  Any patches required?  How about the speed?  Heat problems?  The
	non-Intel versions seem to be much cheaper, so they're very interesting to
	me.

The Cyrix 6x86 (and IBM) are good chips -- I'd recommend the
P166+, as it runs at 66MHz bus speed.  The P200+ runs at 75,
and until that is more widely supported, I'm skeptical (most
implementations overclock the PCI, rather than running it
asynchronously, as intended).  Of course, floating point is
not as good, as it is much harder to speed up the FP, due to
the stack design and the pipelining it already has.

It will run 16bit DOS better than a Pentium Pro, and run 32bit
(and 16bit) faster than a Pentium, and is pretty cheap.
The bigest concern  have about Cyrix is that they don't suport
SMP (but then, neither does NetBSD).

Kevin