Subject: Re: Cyrix / AMD?
To: Jukka Marin <>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/1996 23:04:05
Jukka Marin wrote
> Hi,
> I am about to buy a pentium machine for running NetBSD (and NetBSD alone).
> I still have a few Intel Outside stickers left, so I'd like to get a non-
> Intel CPU. ;-)

Now you are talking ;)

> How good are the Cyrix and AMD CPU's?  Are there any problems running NetBSD
> on them?  Any patches required?  How about the speed?  Heat problems?  The
> non-Intel versions seem to be much cheaper, so they're very interesting to
> me.

I am running the following configuration here:

	IBM686-P120, Octek Rhino 9, 32MB, 512K 2L cache and NetBSD-1.2a

The CPU has the standard fan attached to it, but doesn't seem to get
hot. At present, this system has an uptime of > 44 days since the last
kernel re-configuration....

> Any information greatly appreciated (maybe this info could be included on
> a WWW page somewhere.. I'm sure many people would like to know).

I am very happy with this combination as it was the best value for
money as far as what I am concerned. The system runs as a
terminal/dns/X-windows server here and has yet to crash ;)

BTW: Do you have a spare sticker (Intel Outside)? I love to get hold
of one. All my systems are either IBM, Cyrix or DEC Alpha ;)
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	:
Sysinfo	: DEC AXPpci33+, NetBSD-1.2