Subject: Re: NKPDE changes
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/20/1996 14:20:17
> > How are users supposed to find out what nkpde actually gets set to
> > (e.g., for users who alter parameters that need more or fewer
> > nkpde's)?
> >
> > I can't find anything (e.g., in /usr/sbin/sysctl) that shows what the
> > calculated value of nkpde is.  Can we get add it to /usr/sbin/sysctl,
> > or  to kernfs, or something?
>
>machdep.nkpde ... you need to recompile sysctl for it to grok the name.
>(*sigh*, for a better sysctl interface...)

how 'bout a single sysctl that sysctl (the program) uses to get the real
sysctl mib in its entirety directly from the kernel.  that way, sysctl
(the program) could always work and it could warn you if your
/usr/include/sys/sysctl.h was out of date (optional featurism).

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet