Subject: Re: PPP problems
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Phil Knaack <flipk@idea.exnet.iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/1996 14:23:44
>I got a patch from Phil Knaack (sp?),

	Good job. :)

>which I somewhat upgraded to
>work with more recent -current.  I'm not using it anymore, because I
>got a new modem which no longer exhibits the problem.  My new modem
>uses a 16550AF instead of my old modem's (ASIC copy of a) 16450; it's
>possible that this bug exists only for FIFOless UARTs.

	Actually I have this problem on two almost-identical internal
FIFO-bearing ZOOM 14.4 modems as well as an external Supra. The effects
that I see with the distributed driver never really include overflows
of the *input* buffer, but overflows of the *output*. (Has nothing
to do with FIFO, disabling the FIFO code has no effect either.)
Basically the code ends up pushing bytes out to the modem faster than
its transmitting them, as if the modem was interrupting at that rate.

>If Phil doesn't speak up I'll post what I have, but I can't guarantee
>that it still works.

	No guarantees from me either. :)

	ftp://www.querri.iastate.edu/pub/packages/good-com.tar.gz

	I rebuilt world about a week or two using this code. Been running
since then without a character dropped.

Cheers,
Phil
--
Phillip F Knaack
Database Programmer, Information Development for Extension Audiences (IDEA)