Subject: Re: DMA beyond end of ISA with other scsi cards?
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/1996 17:19:51
[Linux BusLogic driver]

> BusLogic BT-445S Host Adapters prior to board revision E have a
> hardware bug whereby when the BIOS is enabled, transfers to/from the
> same address range the BIOS occupies modulo 16MB are handled
> incorrectly.  Only properly functioning BT-445S boards have firmware
> version 3.37, so we require that ISA Bounce Buffers be used for the
> buggy BT-445S models if there is more than 16MB memory.

[Scott Reynolds]

> My board has firmware version 3.37; does the comment above mean that this
> is why I'm not having any problems?  It isn't clear to me exactly what the
> above means, at any rate. :-)

According to BusLogic, board revisions prior to board revision D have
the hardware bug in question.  They agree that firmware revision 3.37
(which is the latest for these boards) is needed for proper operation
with more than 16M of memory.  I've run NetBSD/i386 on a rev E board
with 3.37 and 32M of RAM 24 by 7 for about a year now, and never seen
a glitch.

Basically, if you have a BT-445S, and NetBSD says...

	bha0: model BT-445S, firmware 3.37

...you should be OK.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"