Subject: Re: Post.Office + NetBSD
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1996 09:54:59
Chris G Demetriou writes:
> The point here is that, to emulate an OS with complete generality, you
> _need_ to, for instance, be able to run third-party shared-lib
> binaries for that OS.

On the other hand, its not like we don't already *have* a C
library. This means that producing an emulation library is a question
of "fixing" that C library to deal with the (often minor) differences
in functionality, and then producing a shared library of the proper OS
flavor out of it.

This is hard, but not extremely hard. I would say, in fact, that for
"close" operating systems like BSDI it is very feasible.

Perry