Subject: Re: Post.Office + NetBSD
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1996 20:16:37
Scott Reynolds wrote

> There is one group of people that really benefit from NetBSD's emulation:
> those that are trying to escape the clutches of the OS they have now.
> Retaining an existing license while upgrading the OS underneath is a very
> real scenario for some folks.
>
> Also, one of the more bizarre things I do here is to mount /emul/hpux via
> amd to gain access to HP-UX libraries and applications.  This points out
> that usefulness of NetBSD emulations rises dramatically in an environment
> where out of necessity you support some commercial OSs for particular
> applications, but have NetBSD in less critical places; I can actually run
> some useful HP-UX applications on the NetBSD machine on my desk. :-)

Whilest the NetBSD's emulations are quite useful and in some cases are the
only way of running commercial packages (or even some interesting
"Free OS" packages") on some systems I view it as a solution in the
short run.

I have been lobbying some developers of commercial packages to make
the effort in porting their software to netbsd. Although the response
was not very encouraging in most cases, some of the developers were
willing to give it a go.

The problem I see here is that a request from an individual user will
not have a great chance of changing developers attitudes toward supporting
a new platform. However chances of success would be drastically
improved if lobbied by the netbsd.org management. So how about that?!

Just my 2 cents worth

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf