Subject: Re: Post.Office + NetBSD
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/1996 08:26:49
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> It's a joke that NetBSD claims binary emulation capabilities for the
> various commercial OSes that it does, because you cannot use those
> emulation capabilities unless you're licensed for the OSes in
> question.

I think that's a bit harsh. First, there do seem to be a fair number
of statically linked binaries out there; Netscape is probably one
of the most popular, and that's statically linked. Second, in at
least some cases, if someone really needs to run a commercial
program that does need libraries from another system, buying just
the software, without having to buy another machine to run it on
(and having to put in the effort of maintaining that machine) is
a pretty major step forward from a system administrator's point of
view. If I had just spent money on an important (to me) BSDI
application, and my entire office was running NetBSD (as it does),
I wouldn't have a qualm about spending a few hundred extra dollars
to get the libraries I needed to run my application.

As far as this particular problem, SCO is now giving away a two-user
version of their OS. You'd want to check their licencing conditions
first, of course, but wouldn't this provide the libraries and
whatnot needed for the original poster's problem.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.