Subject: Re: Linux emulation
To: Colin BRADLEY <fox@CS.McGill.CA>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/1996 22:11:54
On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Colin BRADLEY wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>   There's a man page (man compat_linux) that talks about the
>   whole process. You have to get the dynamic linker up and
>   config'd, and also make sure you know that you need either
>   a.out or ELF libraries (I don't what matlab needs..) (do a
>   `strings' on the binary and grep for `ELF', maybe..)

matlab wants elf.

Ok. I checked out the man page, and I've basically done that already. It
says how to get the libraries, and to set up the /etc/ld.so.cache (which
an error told me about :-)

My problem now is that a number of program seem to drop core. I've brought
over a version of gdb from linux, but it down't seem to help. Part of the
problem is that I've only used kernel debugging, not normal debugging.

As soon as I try /emul/linux/usr/bin/gdb tsetup (in the matlab directory
with tsetup in it), I can't seem to start stepping the program. If I "run"
it, I get a "Bad system call (core dumped)" error, and gdb's history. All
the other (obvious to the novice) step commands complain that there's no
progrma running.

Suggestions? Is there a known bug in the 1.2 emulation?

I'm running a 1.2 custom kernel (GENERIC-derived) (with compat_linux!).
Should I go to -current? Is this the linux elf recognition bug?

Thanks!

Bill