Subject: Re: Help with serial cable
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@masi.ibp.fr>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/1996 19:16:59
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Manuel BOUYER wrote:

> I have have and RxC (receive clock) on the sparc side and an RI
> (ring indicator) and DSR (data set ready) on the modem side. Does anybody know
> what I should do with these 3 signals ? I simply ignored them, but this
> doesn't work ...

RxC is only used in synchronous connections and I highly doubt your modem
normally operates in synchornous mode. (Synchonous mode is usually used
with CSU/DSU devices on leased digital lines, not analog modems).  RI is
not important for normal operation, however, DSR is.  DSR is the modem's
indication to the controlling device that it is powered-on.  In 8-pin DIN
connectors I think this is usually wired to the sleeve.