Subject: Re: XFree86 gets confused with the Caps Lock?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1996 02:51:03
> >>         My XFree86 frequently terminate when I press my caps lock key,
> >> anyone in here have similar problems??
>
> >Yes, I have the same problem on certain xterms.  I have no explaination
> >or reason why this happens, though.
>
> Can't say that I've ever seen this.

Ok, I have some more info now that I am back on my NetBSD machine.  The
Caps Lock crash seems to only occur when using my color XTerm (I think
from ftp.x.org, but it is hard to say).  The R6.1 XTerm from XFree86
3.1.2G seems to work as expected.

Here is a kdump of the event:

   352 xterm    CALL  select(0x5,0x24cf4,0x24cf8,0,0)
   352 xterm    RET   select 1
   352 xterm    CALL  ioctl(0x3,FIONREAD,0xf7bfce84)
   352 xterm    RET   ioctl 0
   352 xterm    CALL  read(0x3,0xf7bfce88,0x40)
   352 xterm    GIO   fd 3 read 64 bytes
       "\^B\M^Bb\0\M^X\M-9\M-C\M-w&\0\0\0\v\0@\^B\0\0\0\0q\^B'\^B\M-U\0\M-Z\^A\
       \^B\0\^A\0\^B\M^Bb\0\M^X\M-9\M-C\M-w&\0\0\0\v\0@\^B\0\0\0\0q\^B'\^B\
       \M-U\0\M-Z\^A\^B\0\^A\0"
   352 xterm    RET   read 64/0x40
   352 xterm    PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL

The odd part is that the crash only occurs on color XTerms executed from
other XTerms, but not when started by my windows manager's (fvwm2) pop-up
menus.

Jeff Thieleke